Easter 2011

Easter 2011
My 4 most favorite things

Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Weight Loss Trifecta!

My cousin and her family recently visited our family. We had a great time. Her kids and my kids (who are very close in age) had a blast. My cousin lost 80 pounds and has kept it off for about 2 years now. It was quite inspirational to see her and get the opportunity to talk with her about it.
She has struggled like me with some ups and downs along the weight loss roller coaster. But in the end she's found success and says that this time it's different. It feels different and her attitude is different. So, I asked her HOW is it different? What magic switch did she flip to bring about amazing results? She said that she started loving God, starting loving herself and loving the exercise. So, I'm summing that up, and calling it the Trifecta...Mind, Body & Soul. It makes sense; we need to hit on all cylinders in order to find lasting success.

Our Mind:We need to get our head in the game (as Bob Harper likes to say). But, it's true. The mind is powerful; it can convince us we will win or lose; can or can't. Henry Ford said, "Whether you think you can, or think you can't...either way, you're right." If we get our head in the game; use the knowledge you know you have (eat the vegetables skip the cookies) then we've mastered our mind in the weight loss game.

Our Body: Of course we have to move! We need to get our bodies in motion and expend calories! I find it so fascinating that when I'm exercising and long after, I feel good; really good. It's not just the endorphins; it's the sense of accomplishment. I feel really good about myself and that not only makes my body feel good, but my mind is refreshed as well.

Our Soul: This is a biggie. In recognizing that it's not all about me, that my struggles with weight, in the grand scheme of life are relatively small, is a relief. I can breathe and know that with God, all things are possible. He does care about me and my struggles and He is faithful. If we take the first steps, He is always there to help us finish our journey, no matter how long that journey may take. So, not only am I in the game of life and on the path to wellness with my family, friends and countless others with similar struggles; we all walk with the One who created us. And that, is perhaps the most liberating realization of all.

So, thank you cousin Katie; for reminding me of some bigger issues at play here. I'm off to win this race...the whole Trifecta!

No comments:

Post a Comment