Easter 2011

Easter 2011
My 4 most favorite things

Monday, December 14, 2009

Guilt with a side dish of extra guilt

Why is it so hard for mom's to carve out a few moments during the day for themselves? I find that I am riddled with guilt over any time I try and devote to myself. This becomes an increasingly more difficult task as I put my health and wellness not only on the radar screen, but at the forefront of my priorities.
Tonight, my training was scheduled for 5:30. Due to a series of unforeseen circumstances, I was unable to make it to my session tonight. And, the main reason I made the decision not to go was based on my guilt. I was literally in tears as I made my way home. What I find amazing is that the tears were in part brought on by my frustration; "Why can I not just take an hour today to better my health; why does this have to be so hard?" I'm sure these are all conversations you've had with yourself as well. But, what I found surprising is that a new wave of guilt washed over me...the guilt of NOT working out; of NOT taking that time to better my health. So, I took care of what was most pressing after stepping in the door and rallied my kids and we ALL went down to the basement so I could run on the treadmill while I heard about their day.
I hear over and over again that life is a practice in finding balance. I hope that I find a way to balance on the beam of life here soon...and maybe lose a couple pounds in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment